Secondary School Resources
Why is this important?
- More than 700 million people, or 10% of the world population, still live in extreme poverty. Surviving on less than US$1.90 a day.
- Having a job does not guarantee a decent living. In fact, 8 per cent of employed workers and their families worldwide lived in extreme poverty in 2018.
- Globally, there are 122 women aged 25 to 34 living in extreme poverty for every 100 men of the same age group.
- The majority of people living on less than $1.90 a day live in sub-Saharan Africa.
- High poverty rates are often found in small, fragile and conflict-affected countries.
- Poverty affects children disproportionately. One out of five children live in extreme poverty.
- As of 2018, 55% of the world’s population have no access to social protection.
- In 2018, only 41% of women giving birth received maternity cash benefits.