Primary School Resources
Why is this important?
- An estimated 821 million people were undernourished in 2017.
- The majority of the world’s hungry people live in developing countries, where 12.9 per cent of the population is undernourished.
- Sub-Saharan Africa remains the region with the highest prevalence of hunger, with the rate increasing from 20.7 per cent in 2014 to 23.2 per cent in 2017.
- In sub-Saharan Africa, the number of undernourished people increased from 195 million in 2014 to 237 million in 2017.
- Poor nutrition causes nearly half (45 per cent) of deaths in children under five – 3.1 million children each year.
- 149 million children under 5 years of age—22 per cent of the global under-5 population—were still chronically undernourished in 2018.